Grant Wood affectionately called his Iowa City home 1142, for its location at 1142 East Court Street.
In 1934, Grant Wood was offered a position working and teaching in Iowa City as Director of a New Deal Public Works of Art Program (P.W.A.P.). While headquartered in Iowa City and associated with the University of Iowa, he assisted other artists and art students in producing a set of murals for Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa. Once his P.W.A.P. concluded in 1934, the University of Iowa offered a three-term as Associate Professor of Fine Art.
Wood moved in to 1142 in 1935 after having commuted from his 5 Turner Alley Studio to Iowa City for a year. This move coincided with his marrying Sara Moxon. During the next two years, Wood made the house his home by remodeling, just as he had in his studio at Turner Alley. He designed his own furniture, restored historic features, and changed the landscaping. Wood’s studio, reminiscent of his Cedar Rapids days, was located in the carriage house. Wood created many lithographs while at the house, including those for the Associated American Artists and he featured 1142 in Parson Weems' Fable in 1939. Wood lived in this home until his death in 1942.
1142 is not open to the public. However, 1142 has continued to evolve and grow richer in its history over the years as a residence and center of cultural conversations.
The house has been occupied by Iowa City lawyer and art collector Jim Hayes since he purchased it in 1975. Prior to buying 1142, Hayes rented the carriage house where Wood kept his studio. In 1978 the house was placed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The Grant Wood Art Colony is located directly behind, 1142, along Burlington Street. Four red houses, detailed in forest green are home to the fellows and administrative office.