The performing arts fellowship rotates between the three departments in the Division of Performing Arts: the Department of Dance, the Department of Theatre Arts, and the School of Music.
The Grant Wood Art Colony and the School of Music is currently seeking a candidate in the area of Interdisciplinary Performance-Music.
Review of applications will begin February 1, 2021 and continue until filled.
The Fellow will receive:
- an appointment as a Grant Wood Visiting Assistant Professor in the School of Music
- $40,000 salary and benefits
- office in the Voxman Music Building at the University of Iowa
- furnished housing (in a one- or two-bedroom off- campus residence in the Grant Wood Art Colony)
Fellowship Recipient Responsibilities
- Teach one course each semester (two courses total). The candidate may teach either an introductory course or an advanced course depending on their strengths and the needs of the program.
- Present at least one public performance and one public presentation of their work
- Participate in public engagement activities (e.g., educational programming, collaboration with local arts organizations, activities with local community, etc.)
- Collaboration with students and faculty within the UI School of Music. This collaboration could include research, creative scholarship, guest lectures in other courses, presentations for student organizations, musical compositions, etc.
- Fellows are required to maintain residence in the provided Grant Wood Art Colony.
- Bachelor’s degree or similar combination of educational/professional experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in hip-hop, popular music, improvisation, and/or electronic music composition.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work with students and colleagues of diverse social, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated skills in beat making, music production, mobile recording, songwriting, and/or creative musicianship.
- Interest in musical activism related to human rights or environmental justice.
Applications must include:
- a cover letter indicating interest, qualifications, and creative practice
- professional resume or vita
- a one-page diversity, equity, and inclusion statement
- a representative sample of the applicant’s work (for example, link to digital materials, website)
- contact information for three professional references
The School of Music and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences are strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion; the strategic plans of the University and College reflect this commitment. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran. The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
The University of Iowa has a historic commitment to the arts. The School of Music enrolls approximately 450 majors and has a full-time faculty of 55. The Voxman Music Building, opened in the fall of 2016, is a state-of-the art facility near the heart of the campus in downtown Iowa City. The Iowa City/Coralville area has a population of about 75,000 and is a cultural center with a cosmopolitan atmosphere. Its public schools, libraries, and health care facilities are rated as outstanding.
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran. The University also affirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities and equal access to University facilities. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply for all employment vacancies.